Saturday, December 12, 2020

The Waves of Grief - Healing on the Shores of Monterey Bay

A friend told me that grief comes in waves  After Phil was diagnosed with brain cancer we began to walk to heal.  As we walked we loved to stop, sit and watch the waves.  When Phil would go through periods of radiation and chemotherapy, he would sit and watch the waves while I ran around and caught images.  Five months since his death, I continue to heal and am experiencing the waves of life and grief each day.  What will set me off differs each day.  When something good happens and I want to share with him.....when something bad happens and I wish for his hug....I can't even listen to jazz, Bob Marley or Marvin Gaye, music can destroy me....sometimes the wave comes in a slow, warm memory.   Other times, out of the clear blue sky, I will feel utter dispair and sadness, it always takes me off guard.  A smell, turning over and wishing to curl up with him in bed or seeing a photograph of him....The holiday season is causing a series of waves...

I continue to walk, heal, conquer waves and think of Phil.

Each day begins with hope, living moment from moment and enjoying the beauty around me.


My Waves


































Pouring my heart into nature, creativity and love.

I miss you Phil


So far I'm conquering the waves.......

“Memories are where our loved ones continue to live after they're gone; it's why we hold onto objects that remind us of them and go to places where they feel near. True, when someone we love dies we are forevermore at risk of their memory triggering aftershocks of the pain. But inversely, if we let them, such reminders may also fill us with warmth and comfort." 

Eleanor Haley 

No comments:

Post a Comment