Friday, October 30, 2020

Where the wind blew us - on our way to Mount Rushmore - Cruise America Tour 2020


Nicole joined us for the second part of the trip in the Cruise America camper.  Our ultimate trip goal was Mount Rushmore passing through Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.  Phil had expressed on many occasions that he wanted me to see the Rocky Mountains in autumn.  A perfect celebration of life for him.  When we headed out we decided to head through Eureka Springs, AR, where Phil and I fell in love....  We wished that we could have hugged all of our friends there, that will come very soon, I hope.  Time constraints but more than that, the corona virus slowed visiting down.  We stopped at Beaver Lake for a bite to eat and we were back on the road heading to Salina, Kansas KOA where we would spend the night.  We will visit Arkansas again and will hand out hugs....


A moment by the Buffalo River in Arkansas gave us a moment of peace.



We took a moment remembering many fun times in Eureka Springs, took a photo of ourselves in Phil's hats.   Then right over Beaver Dam and we took a bite to eat.  Many wonderful memories, wish we would have had more time, but I treasured the few moments there.




From Salina, Kansas, we head to Pueblo, Colorado.


We stopped to see the world's largest Czech egg in Wilson, Kansas.  Noelle found some great stop offs along the way!


We stopped in Dodge City for a look.


We spent the night in Pueblo, Colorado KOA and when we got up we experienced the first of many winds that we would fight on the trip.  I'm talking wind warning winds.  Signs on the highways showing warnings.  Two things started happening, we let the wind blow us in the direction we needed to go.  Zig Zagging became the normal.  I impressed even myself guiding my 12 x 20 box of an RV through the winds.  Nicole and Noelle became adept at reading wind maps and guided me through the gauntlet. 



We spent time exploring around the Arkansas River-walk in Pueblo, Colorado.  Beautiful!






One if the highlights of the trip was one giant bug.  Herkimer, the worlds largest beetle in Colorado Springs.  Mother nature keep showing us the way, the wind kept control of the way we flowed.  




We visited the Manitou Cliff Dwellings.




My favorite KOA ended up being Fort Collins, Colorado KOA.  Wow!  Beauty, great staff and they made a delicious pancake breakfast in the morning.  When we left California there were fires all over, Colorado was having them too, one close to Fort Collins.  Smoke and wind.



Noelle and I were up and out early in the cold morning air.   Brisk and beautiful!







On our way to pick up our breakfast.



Cute bunnies.


We ended up loving the Cruise America camper.  It was comfortable, ran well and proved to be a pajama party heaven.


We blew right into Cheyenne Wyoming.  Love the western themed train station.






Cowboys and boots everywhere.  



The wind gusted at 40 miles an hour,as we checked out the history of the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express.







The plains, windswept plains.  I had no expectation of the challenge of the wind, my driving improved quickly.


My favorite place that the wind blew us to was the the Mammoth Museum in Washington.  Phil often put up with my obsession with Woolly Mammoths, he had watched lots of documentaries and educational shows about them.  I was in heaven in this museum.  We arrived late as we blew in, the museum was only open for 10 more minutes, they let us in anyway.  It was mind blowing.  I think Nicole and Noelle loved it too!  



You could see bones in the rock in front of you, amazing.





Another favorite is that we got to see wild horses on a Sanctuary near Hot Springs, South Dakota.  







The winds slowed we headed to another lovely KOA in Hot Springs, South Dakota.  We had hope the winds would die.....





Lovely campsite, one of our favorites, the sites were private and pretty.




The next morning we were excited to be heading to Mount Rushmore.  We lucked into parking right across from the park.  Apatriotic moment for us during an election year.  We saw many people as we traveled, gathering to elect Trump, signs and some not on the not so nice side.  Biden was represented more around the cities, while Trump activity more in the country.






Then to the Crazy Horse memorial.  Noelle, Phil and I had visited there 20 years ago.  It was a moving experience that none of us ever forgot.  I relished in the memory and wished that Philly could be there.  Not a moment goes by that he isn't resting in my heart and mind.  I miss him.





As we neared Casper Wyoming on our way to Vernal, Utah where we were suppose to spend the night.  The wind was getting out of control, it was beginning to gust to 60 mph.  We stopped to look at the dinosaur and decided to stay right there in Casper.  Nicole and Noelle watched the winds all night, trying to plan how we would be able to leave.  The winds slowed down very early in the morning, we were up and driving before the sun came up.



On our way to Flaming Gorge we spotted Seagulls flying by a river.  None of us can remember exactly where we were, because our roads kept changing according to wind.








Flaming Gorge had the added bonus of Mountain Goats.




Then to Vernal, Utah and to Dinosaur, Colorado. 
We visited the Dinosaur National Museum.  We lucked into the wind keeping the crowds down everywhere, we hardly saw a human being and when we did, everyone had a mask on.  There are advantages to dealing with a scientific crowd. 











Then we drove over Hwy 70 towards Denver, the stretch of road that Phil had told me that he wanted me to see in the fall.  It was an emotional part of the trip.  Nicole and Noelle humored me and I stopped all the way over the mountain enjoying the beauty. 





I love and miss you Phil.  I know that you would have been pleased with our journey.  I loved seeing the autumn color, it was as beautiful as you told me it would be.  I know you were with me and I know you are proud of my efforts.  I heard your voice as I drove the camper.







The wind blew us right back to Pueblo, Colorado.  The morning sunrise I caught, along with a bunch of stickers in my feet.  


Next we blew into New Mexico into a place called the Earthship.  Nicole had heard about it and wanted to visit.  Made from recycled materials, it was a learning experience in the middle of the desert.






Big spider in the garden.






Lunch by the Rio Grande Gorge.



Can't resist a mission.




Along the Rio Grande, golden foliage was a distraction.






Dinner......a delicious dinner at El Pilar Food Truck in Espanola, New Mexico.  If you are there, please stop by.  Oh my goodness we loved this one.  We had tacos and nachos, both were out of this world.  The next day we ate at a food truck in Santa Fe, Andale was fabulous as well.  .  




We stayed in the Santa Fe, New Mexico KOA, one of our families favorites.  We have been staying at this one for years.



We found a Blue Whale from Monterey Bay Aquarium, in Santa Fe at Sante Fe Community College.  Her name is Ethyl and she was commissioned by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.   She was a pleasant surprise.



We checked out a section of Route 66.  The journey has given us the chance to spend time together, bond and gave us a reprieve from living in a Covid filled world.





Wed took Nicole back home to Little Rock, we invited her to come back with us.....
Some sad good byes, made into, we will see you again soons.

Then Noelle and I were on our way back to California.

Guess what, the wind was back and after spending the night in Oklahoma City East KOA, which was very nice.  Noelle and I will stay in this one again!  Gorgeous property.  Because of the wind, we slid around on the back roads and saw some beautiful areas of Oklahoma.  It was nice to get off the Hwy 40, we ended up seeing some pretty landscape.


We stopped to get gas in Jones Oklahoma, in the short time that we were there, I was impressed with the hospitality of the town.  People made us feel welcome and showed a great pride in their city.  I loved it!!



We pulled into the parking lot at the Cowboy Museum and just admired the art on the outside of the Museum.



We ended up deciding on the Las Vegas, New Mexico KOA which we were very pleased with.  A beautiful area, kind staff and breakfast, loved it.  Then we headed to check out Las Vegas, New Mexico and were pleasantly surprised to find a quaint town, full of beauty and history.  Loved it!









We traveled through Wildlife Refuges and through a very large Array.





Past missions, mountains and deserts and we headed on Route 66 toward Oatman, Arizona.  This was one tight drive through the mountains, another badge on my camper driving.  Wow, as Noelle said she kept her butt clinched the whole way.  Such beauty and adventure - Yahoooooo!  There were wild donkeys along the way.





Noelle's photo of wild donkeys.






Joshua tree forest and mountains in the California desert.






The trip was a huge success and I couldn't be happier with spending time with my family. 
Phil remains in my heart and I found peace in continuing our dream of traveling
I carry him in my heart and soul and not a minute goes by that I don't feel or think of him.
I hope to continue to live the dream......

To love, to adventure and to family
Thank you again to all who helped me have this adventure, esp. Nicole and Noelle.
I love you and I thank you for sharing this adventure with me.

Noelle and I traveled 13 states and over 9000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment