Wednesday, October 28, 2020

2020 Travel Adventure - Rented RV, campgrounds and a journey during Covid times. California - Sante Fe - Austin to Arkansas


This journey was thought, dreamed and planned for some timed before the adventure actually began.  Right before my husband Phil was diagnosed with cancer we had decided to travel the country in our camper van.  After diagnosis, we had to sell the van but did our best to travel as Phil went through treatments.  After Phil died, I was left with a dream of traveling in the difficult times of Covid.  I have to say that grief has had a hold of me, it waves and I have been allowing myself my feelings.  My self confidence was needing bolstered, I feel that I need to learn about myself after Phil passing away.  Phil was a huge part of my life for 23 years and left a significant hole in my life.

Covid had caused some problems as Phil was going through the last months of his life.  When he was in the  hospital I couldn't visit.  When I got him home from the hospital, there was not the extra help that might have been available before the Corona virus.  My daughter Noelle stepped in to help, becoming a caregiver to help me care for Phil.  Protecting him from Covid was a reality.  My daughter Noelle and I had been in heavy seclusion while caring and protecting him.  Coming back into the world with Covid was an interesting experience.

We didn't have a memorial for Phil, because gatherings were advised against because of the spread of the pandemic. A trip, an adventure, a journey was how I wanted to honor Phil, as that is what we loved to do most.  I yearned to see and be with my family.  I hadn't see or visited my family for over 5 years while caring for Phil. My daughter Nicole and my sister both had been helping from afar, I wanted to see them in person. My mom is approaching her 96th birthday, my dad hasn't been feeling great and is 90.  What I learned from Phil's journey with cancer is each moment is important and all we have is now.  

Noelle and I started talking about how to safely travel and still stay socially distanced.  Renting an RV kept coming up.  We didn't want to stay in motels, use public bathrooms and we wanted to be able to prepare our own food.  We spoke to my other daughter Nicole and started planning a socially distanced vacation and visit.

We would limit the people we would visit, we would wear masks, wash out hands and keep ourselves secluded.  We rented a van from Cruise America, joined KOA campgrounds and started to plan a trip.
I was filled with apprehension, nervous to drive a camper, nervous to travel while a pandemic was going on and yet know that minutes are important. 

Each day on the trip, we honored Phil in someway.  I could feel him with me and I loved the memories that came with the trip.  Phil and I have done the trip back and forth between California and Arkansas on many occasions.  Some of my favorite memories were on those trips, we loved to be on the road.

We had friends who helped us get to San Francisco to get the camper.  I was very nervous but determined.  Phil had been doing all the driving in the past, esp with the camper before he got sick.  Let's be honest, Phil had me spoiled rotten.  Those who know us, know how he took care of me.  I think this was time for me to prove to myself, I can indeed do anything I want to do, including living the dream of traveling.  This blog covers the first part of the trip - getting from California to Arkansas.  We stayed in Williams, Arizona, Albuquerque, New Mexico, at my sister's in Austin, Tx, Texarkana, Ark and then to my parents in Jacksonville, Arkansas.  


The first night of our trip was spent at Avila Beach KOA, it was a Friday night, the campground was packed and we arrived late.  It didn't take me long to where I felt confident driving, in fact I felt that Phil was there with me while I was behind the wheel.  What we noticed in the morning was not many people were wearing masks.  That is something we watched and noticed as we traveled across the country.  Mask protocol varied as did the political signs as we crossed the country.  We were only at the campground long enough to start to learn how to set up and disassemble camp.  We had breakfast next to Avila Beach and headed out onto the road.


We let country roads lead us, oddities pull us in and we soon realized how much work each day would be.  The one and only problem we had with the camper was with dumping the black tank.  It proved to be a challenge the entire trip, except two nights out of twenty four that it functioned the way it was suppose to.  The first couple of dumps were messy and not fun.  (Cruise America compensated me for the problem)  Setting up and taking down camp each day took awhile.  Noelle plugged us in and got our water hooked up each day.  I was in charge of dumping tanks.  We both cleaned, cooked and tended to the inside of the camper.


We stayed at the KOA in Williams Arizona.  The moon was beautiful as we arrived at the campground.  We loved the grounds, the staff was masked, friendly and helpful.  The store more than complete, park clean and we loved our experience while we were there.




A drive through zoo seemed like a good idea.  We enjoyed our visit through Bearizona.  



We encountered many trains on our trip, this one was in Winslow, Arizona.


Sunrise and Sunset on the road are always special.  Since I was driving as well as taking photos, it was a bit harder to juggle, but I got better at this as the trip went along.


A lunch in a visitor center parking lot before arriving in Santa Fe.  Noelle and I enjoyed our meals in the camper on the open road.


We lucked into a parking place in Santa Fe, it was Monday morning, not crowded and we noticed everyone was very good at distancing and masks.  Our visit and walk was full of art, beauty and a great way to enjoy a little fresh air with keeping distanced and outside.  We stayed at Albuquerque KOA, which is in a great location and was a beautiful place to start the day.







Our visit to Santa Fe was based on seeing the Oldest House there.  

We both loved this tribute in a shop window to Ruth Bader Ginsburg.






I took Phil's hat with me and wore it to places that I knew that he would love visiting.  Clines Corners was always a stop along the way.  I miss you Phil and I loved wearing your hat.  Smiling at all the love and memories.....

We made it through Roswell, New Mexico.  Seemed like a good pitstop for me.



A beautiful sunrise in the countryside of Texas.


We stayed with my sister in Austin, we walked and talked.  Taking breaks in talking just to take photos of all gorgeous animals in the neighborhood.  Was wonderful to see her and her family.  Zach it was a pleasure to see you and you have grown into a lovely young man.





There was peace for me with my sister and the beautiful surroundings.





The moon was mysterious and kept the night well lit.



Sunrise at my sisters.




What a beauty Klaus is.



My sister has a cactus that she has grown since Phil had been diagnosed with cancer, I laid his hat there.  He had kept up with Cactus Phil's growth.  Patti, I want you to know how much he appreciated everything you and Mom had done to keep his spirits up.



The visit with Mom and Dad was special and treasured.  We were worried because of their age and the pandemic, so we have all been keeping ourselves secluded so we could have this visit.  It went well, and it was healing for all of us.



Mom will celebrate her 96th birthday next month.
Happy Birthday Mom!



After our visit, we pick up my other daughter, Nicole in Little Rock.  Noelle, Nicole and I hit the road for the next part of our adventure.

On that part of the journey, the girls started calling me, "she who drives in the wind".  




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect trip! So glad to hear you made it to J’ville to visit!! Stay strong and live life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete