Sunday, April 10, 2022

My Wanderings 2022 - The Sea Otter on the Boat dock and a few Otter Favorites


  A sea otter sitting by the dock of the bay has been fun to look for.....I have spotted it on 3 separate occasions lately.  I keep my distance even though I watched people come very close to it.  I feel it is a good idea to keep space between myself and wildlife.  With that being said, I was thrilled to witness the amazing wildlife that was before me.


For sea otters, hauling out on land is a way to rest in safety from marine predators, warm up faster, and stay warm longer.  I reported one sitting out last year and was told by SORAC that she was pregnant and tired. 




After a time on the boat dock, it headed back into the bay, wrapped itself in kelp, groomed and back to sleep.






I have started putting videos on you tube and having a good time doing it  There are several of sea otters and I will be adding more as I get them.  


A few of my favorite images I have taken over the last year.


Crab seems to be a favorite on the diet.



 To keep warm, sea otters spend a large portion of their days grooming and conditioning their fur. This traps air and heat next to their skin. 


There is one esp blonde sea otter, I have watched her with pups over several years.  She is quite beautiful and seems to be a good mom.


Sea otters rely on their long whiskers to help them to detect vibrations and movement under water.



Sea urchins, mussels and octopus, all seemed to make a good breakfast.





Sea otter pups take a ride with mom through the water.  


Video of sea otter pup and mom.


#17 new experience of this year.
New fancy Salmon Sister sweat pants from my friend Patty.  
Thank you!!!!!!  I love them.







No comments:

Post a Comment