Thursday, April 25, 2019

Bears, Lake Tahoe and Adventure

My new favorite photo!  Baby bear cubs at Lake Tahoe

The last time Phil and I tried to run away for a small vacation, the MRI showed that his cancer had grown and he was rushed into surgery and treatment.  We took three wonderful days in Northern California but we were left hungry for more adventure.  The surgery and treatments had left him sick, weak and we've been taking it easy working on getting Phil's strength and stamina back.



He continues to get stronger with each day.   We have been wanting to go on a mini journey....we talk about it but both of us have been tired and the timing hasn't been right.   Cost is always a consideration, so we have been trying to do walks in different locations close to  home.

tap the photos to make them larger

This past week, I saw a spark in Phil's eyes.  A twinkle in the eye I haven't seen since the biopsy....we had two days off and it felt like it was safe to run.
Through the years Phil and I have visited Lake Tahoe.  In fact our family has had some special times there.  We have camped, partied, played in the snow and gambled in Lake Tahoe.
We have talked about going, but we had fears with Phil's health, costs and needing to look at a visit to that area with different eyes.



  
I found a room at Harvey's on their website a room for $55.00 a night with a $40.00 food voucher.  On a moments notice we headed up the hill.  We had the challenge of looking at Lake Tahoe from a new perspective.  This time instead of partying, gambling and staying at a campground, our "new normal" took us exploring the area, taking hikes, sitting in front of our window at the hotel and watching it snow.  I will mention it was Monday and Tuesday and it was quiet, really quiet - I understand why the room was such a bargain.  We had a quiet, relaxing and magical stay at Lake Tahoe.






As we drove into the mountains it started to snow.  It was like a scene from a nature movie, I don't believe either of us have seen snow for a few years and it started to sink in where we were, what we were achieving and a tear was shed.   There was a coffee shop at the base of the elevator in the hotel.  We packed our picnic carried it up the elevator and enjoyed our warm drinks and watched the snow until we drifted into a very deserved slumber.  The drive up in the snow had been exciting and tiring.



It continued snowing until the morning, it melted off quickly when the sun peaked out, we were off to explore the area.
We found a place with a creek and decided that was a good place to start.



That's a fish under there!  We watched three large fish preforming a water ballet.








Whew! We were tired, hiked out and enjoyed a beautiful moon rise before heading back to our room.

We got up before the sun, ready for more adventure and adventure we got.  
We headed to the back of the lake where we had never explored and headed home with the intention of  seeing what we have never seen before.  But first a stop where we had hiked the day before.  On our way we see a car pulled over - almost out of the road.  We both said what the hell is he doing and then we noticed.  He was taking photos of a mom and 2 cub bears.  Errrrrkkkkkkkk, I pulled over behind him and started to take photos.





Across the street from where we had hiked and watched the fish ballet in the river.  Yikes!  That made our trip.  We thought ourselves lucky, bears and snow in one trip.  Holy hell!

We proceeded around the lake to see wonders, hike, climb a rock mountain and to breathe....
Life has been rough, we needed a minute to reflect on what is important and readjust our mojo.






The journey IS what is important.  It is the trip, the hikes and most of all the bonding that comes with our adventures.  It is one hell of a journey that we are on.  It can be lonely, scary and can feel defeating.  But a trip can change the way you look at things, take the moment to enjoy each other and step away from labs, MRI's and doctors.

On the way home we took Hwy 80 filled with gold rush history and we stopped in Auburn, California on the way home.  Checked out the visitors center, ate a delicious lunch and explored the historic town.



We were glad to see the ocean again....But the Sierra's ended up being a morale builder and a reminder of how wonderful life is...
We are already saving for the next adventure!


As we go through our journey I have been reading as many comforting words as I can find.
This prayer struck me:

Comfort me with Your love O God
Wrap me up in Your strong embrace 
Shelter me from the storm O Lord
Envelop me in Your tender care 

By day I pour out my heartbreak to You
By night I give you my racing thoughts 

In You I take refuge
In You I will not be afraid
For you hold me strong, You hold me safe 

Calm my fearful heart O God
Still my anxious mind O Lord 

For all my life is found in You 
All my being is given to You 
All my hope begins in You

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Your photos and lively descriptions really make your adventures come to life. I don’t know why it takes a serious illness for humans to look around and change our perceptions, but we too are grateful for the blessings we have been privileged to experience after cancer u-turned our lives. Love you both! ��

    ReplyDelete