Monday, July 17, 2017

Mary's Peak - confidence, exceeding goals and extreme gratitude with love.

tap photos to make large

This particular day of our trip is the one of the most memorable, one of success and confidence.  We had seen our destination from the distance, on our walk the day before, Mary's Peak.  It looked tall and it seemed overwhelming.  My imagination got away from me,  it always has been more than active.   I was nervous before the climb, worried for the swelling in Phil's brain, worried it was too much of a climb for Phil.....always worried, always afraid.  Fear that I'm conquering, Phil was conquering the hill while I was conquering fear. I'm sure Phil had his own apprehensions, but as soon as we started the trip, he said that he was going to experience and do everything.
We were off in the morning, Chris and Scott reassured me all was going to be okay, I trusted and proceeded full steam ahead. Mary's Peak - Phil dominated it and what I saw from him after, was more self confidence and pride in what he has accomplished in the last year.  One year ago, he was still struggling to walk very short distances.  When we got to that peak, there was such a feeling of success and that we could conquer this.  Thank you Scott and Chris, this trip has changed our life, changed the way we were feeling.  Such excitement and fun, Phil and I have such gratitude and appreciation.  


Chris and Scott lead the way.


Chris looking up and seeing the trail might be a little steeper than it had been when last hiked.



Phil was strong and happy.  Smiles, laughs and total gratitude.  





Wildflowers were everywhere and the buzz of bees filled the air.


A break at the top, a little time to take in the view.  You could see the Cascades, even to Mt Saint Helen.  It was an achievement and a moment to realize how far we have come.


  
Scott took these photos at Mary's Peak, notice the mountains in the background.  The Cascade range is right out there.   That is the look of pure joy on our faces.

That was just the start to a wonderful day.  We headed to the Thyme Garden next.  Chris has been working on her garden at home and took us to this location of unbelievable beauty.  More flowers than I could take photos of:










After the garden it was onto Alsea Falls.  At this point Phil was starting to poop out a little.  We did a shorter trail, but we stopped and enjoyed the falls first.  When we had our picnic I had worked up a hunger of a lumberjack and proceeded to eat like one. 



On the trip I had seen many signs warning to watch out for elk, I wanted that photograph, the one of the regal elk standing tall in the field.  We had one more stop that day - the Corvallis Watershed Wild Animal Refuge.  We were stalking the elusive elk.  No sign of an elk at the park but we did get a much needed rest.





Yes we were tired......very tired.  When we got back to Chris and Scott's home, I told them I needed a 20 minute nap.  It ended up a 2 hour nap, I woke up to a beautiful dinner that Scott and Chris had made.  We spent time in the garden, I finally caught the hummingbird, that I had been after with my camera and we ate the best blueberry pie in the world.  Another fabulous day, one that Phil and I will never forget.  



No comments:

Post a Comment