Saturday, December 9, 2017

Chasing Sunrises Over Monterey Bay


Chasing the Sunrise.....I couldn't think of a better description of our life.  The sunrise is the hope of a new day, another fresh start.  Each day brings triumph and sadness,  love and tears and by the end of the day exhaustion.  We had a week of some pretty raw emotion and coming to terms with where we are.  Phil and I both expect, embrace and try to move on from periods of low energy and sadness.  It isn't conducive to healing.  

I got a new camera, my family rallied together to get it for me, a beautiful early Christmas gift.  Phil has taken the camera I was using (a gift from a friend, Karen - thank you), and he is beginning to work on his photography skills as well.  There will be a blog very soon, that will be a combination of both Phil's and my photography.  It should be fun, two different prospective's of our journey.  It is positive, it gets us into nature, exercising and creating.  Pretty positive stuff.  Phil also changed his page Phil's Auto Repair to Phil's Joint, he wanted to change the name reflecting a more rounded view of his likes and I hope he starts sharing his photography on his page too.  Thanks to all of you who have shown both of us support, it has meant the world to us.

(tap the photos to enlarge)

I've been practicing with my new camera and have been a little disappointed in my photos, until this magical sunrise.  Phil has kept telling just keep going, you just need to get used to the camera. I got up in the morning due to my neighbors motion spot light had been shining directly into our apartment all night.  I got up determined to catch the sunrise and a plan for a heavier window covering.....But first I park on Cannery Row and start sprinting toward the wharf.  I can see the sun cresting and I head toward the Harbor.  


We have had some smoke in the air due to all the fires burning in California, which made for some beautiful sunrise color.  Pastels that turned into vivid oranges, reds and pinks.


I ran past the coast guard jetty.  The sun kept coming up and I kept taking photos and running toward the boats.


As I am running, I keep thinking I can't wait to get home to show Phil the photos I've taken and the next thought is that I can't wait to get him out on a walk.  We still walk miles together each day.  I work many hours a day on the computer, and it is nice for Phil and I to get out, move around, breath the fresh air and talk to each other.  He is exercising, lifting weights and gets stronger each day.  There are still many hours of rest, but the improvement over the last 3 or 4 months has been wonderful.


As I am running down the bike path chasing the sunset, I have to stop every few minutes and take photos.


It was breathtaking and I notice a change in how I am feeling toward the camera.  A comfortable feeling started coming over me.   A very good morning indeed. 




I couldn't take enough photos, the beauty and color were amazing.  I kept running and taking photos as quickly as I could.




As the sun continued to climb, I headed back to the car, taking a quick trip on to the Coast Guard Jetty.  The wildlife photography can be fun off the jetty, you never know what you might see.




An egret moving around looking for food.



There were 100's of jellies off the jetty.  By the time I got home, Phil was up and making breakfast.  I showed him my photos, we enjoyed our breakfast and we were onto our next adventure.  We got the curtain for our window, no more spot light.  Heaven....
Here's to sunrise, love and Monterey Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment