Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Harbor Seal Birth and other Joys in Life

Birth and Hope

When I started my blog, I began with the intent that I would share Phil's and my travel adventures.  Instead it turned into a journey of a different sort, one that included a battle with cancer.  Life keeps on its roller coaster tracks and we continue to hang on for dear life.  Phil had another good MRI report, the tumor is shrinking.  There are still obstacles, heart ache and tears, but there is an equal amount of hope, love and laughter.  Nicole, my daughter, moved.....she is on the road to a new adventure of her own.  I wish her the best, I am thankful for her and I'm going to miss her with all of my heart.  Tomorrow Phil and I spend the day with Noelle, my other daughter.  A picnic and love, then we go into another round of our joy......dog sitting.  It seems we will roll from one beautiful soul to the next.  

Today's adventure was one of birth which I'm equating with hope.  I have spent many hours photographing the Harbor Seals for www.facebook.com/HarborSealsOfPacificGrove, today I finally lucked into seeing my first birth.  Here is a photo essay of my time at the fence, trying to get photos of a newborn seal pup.

It all starts when I spot a very pregnant seal wallowing in the sand.  

Tap the photos to make them larger.

I have been getting some very good advice and listening to the docents as they describe the birthing process.   I could tell she was uncomfortable, she was rolling and it was about 3:00 in the afternoon.  
As I kept my eye on her, I started photographing the seals and pups on the beach that were with her.




Phil and I had just finished our walk and his workout.  As we were on the way home I told him I wanted to stop to take a few photos of the seals.  He was tired and said he would just wait in the car.  Patience, he has such patience.  Lately he stays at home a good part of the time I'm taking photos of the seals.  If we are out and about - I like to just stop by for a few shots.  So I was off and at it......time kept rolling by......



I kept my eye on her.  She was tired and miserable, you could see it all over her.  Barely moving, each move that she did make was laborious.  Then I watched the seals have swimming lessons, nurse and play in the surf.




Then I check on my mother to be again.  She continued to roll, scoot and dig a hole.


Posted to the fence, the fence lined with humans, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the baby.  I continued to watch pregnant seals arrive on the beach, young seals playing in the surf and one pup tried to catch a drink of milk from the new mother.  She was delirious and let him try.





She let that little one try to get a drink of milk as it passed by!!

I check her again and then we saw this!


We jockey along the fence, my friend Connie coaching me the whole way.  Over here Linda, then we run back to where we were.  She continues to move about.  The I hear a man's voice calling me from behind.  I ask everyone to hold my place, I turn around and there is Phil driving the car.  I run up and he says he has to go piss.  He drives off, his very first time driving since January 18, 2016.  He has not been driving because of the threat of seizure.  They told him after 3 months of no seizure he could drive again.  I guess the drive to pee got him there.  Ha!  What a glorious sight, one small triumph after another.  He said he would see me later and I ran back to jockey into space. 

Before you know it, Phil is back and is standing behind me.  We both get to witness the birth......

Was I smooth?.....not so much..... it took me a minute to gather my composure and get my first photo and then I got into the groove.




Once it started to take place it was fast and furious.  There were some other mother and babies close to her when she had the baby.  Before you know it, another one of the mothers comes into the picture and grabbed the baby and a fight ensued.  The crowd that was watching reacted, everyone was scared for the baby.  We all held our breath.....Everything worked out just fine.  What a big healthy baby.  What a wonderful experience and day.....

 






I had to finish doing my psychic gig before I could get to my blog, it is 3:30 in the morning, what an incredible 12 hours it has been.  
Phil just raised his head asked me what time it is and told me to get into bed.....





No comments:

Post a Comment