Thursday, November 12, 2015

Have Chevy will travel.......The Gypsy Lifestyle......or Phil, me and Our Chevy Conversion Van

Phil, me and our Chevy Conversion Van

(tap the photos to make them large.)


Phil and I bought a Chevy conversion van before a trip across country, from California to Arkansas.  We wanted to take a 2 week trip over the Christmas holiday to visit my parents.  We were going to rent one, but we started to look on Ebay and we ended up winning one, in an auction for $5000.  The photo above is from our first camping trip in the van.  Thank goodness that we took a practice trip.  Our first choice of campsite might have been a little off, everyone was a tad bit bigger than we were.  We spent the whole evening rearranging and downsizing.  By the time we headed on our two week trip to Arkansas, we had it down.  We had the best time heading across county.  This van has been the best investment ever!  Here's a little photo essay of our fun times in our van.


Yes we joined the KOA and we have had a ball exploring each campground, I blogged about it:
We don't stay in them every time, but definitely as often as we can.
On our trip, we stayed in many campgrounds, but we love the KOA in Flagstaff, it was decorated, inviting and comfortable and we have been back several times.



Lunch in the van overlooking the Grand Canyon, there was snow on the ground, crisp air and it was splendid.  I love the Grand Canyon.  Always beautiful, changing and life enriching.






There was interesting reading along the way, you learn something new everyday.  I wore my shower shoes.  






Many fun stops, great memories along the way.



Phil and I enjoyed a lovely visit with the family.

And after that trip -- the enjoyment continued, we just kept camping.......


She was beautiful in the Redwood Forest.


Incredible in Lake Tahoe on more than one occasion.

 







With family, so fun in Tahoe.




The series of photos above are ones I won't soon forget.  It had been a beautiful camping trip to Lake Tahoe, we went to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  The camping spot we had was perfect, the entire trip was perfect.  We had a glorious breakfast, I climbed trees to take photos of my crystal ball, into creeks and up steep hills.  In the first photo up there I'm standing in the back of the van taking a photo of Phil cooking breakfast.  (Yes, Phil likes to cook and yes, thank goodness he cooks better than I do).  Right before we packed up to leave, we took this picture of ourselves getting ready for the trip home.  Then the trip took a different direction.  I was helping Phil flush the septic area of the van - I leaned out of the door to hear him and did a flip out of the back of the van.  I dislocated my shoulder, ended up in the emergency room and the last photo is me leaving the hospital.

There was still more fun to be had........


Forrest Gump: My momma always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where they go, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes, I bet if I think about it real hard I can remember my first pair of shoes.
My special van shoes painted by my friend Jill.

Which takes us to some of our favorite times........By the beach.  We spend many hours by the beach in the van.  Traveling up and down Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy) is one of our favorite things to do.






There has been good times with friends.  We dance, we sing and there is lots of laughing that goes on.






We stayed a weekend at the Monterey Jazz Fest.  The van was parked in the most ideal spot, right behind the fair grounds.  Many wonderful memories, but we will never forget falling asleep to Herbie Hancock playing live.  Wow!!!  We can't keep Phil out of the Chicken Wing Line!  We waited for Clint to fill in that reserved parking place.....to no avail!





So many sights, art and fun along the way.  Just looking forward to where the trail leads next.  We travel, do festivals, see art, spend time with friends and just have fun!









We have a favorite campground in Cloverdale, California.  Lots to do in the area.  But most of all they take good care of us and the grounds are well maintained and beautiful.  



We lost our traveling buddy this past year.  We miss her but she is always with us in spirit.  Thanks Judy for 15 beautiful years, we miss you desperately. 
























1 comment: