Thursday, July 5, 2018

Our Walk - Sea otters, baby sea gulls and a joyful day - Good news, happy times and a great 4th of July


Phil and I got up and going, early this morning.  We figured being the 4th of July it would be best to beat the crowds.  Since the beginning of Phil's journey with brain cancer, crowds, loud noises and excitement seem to cause him stress and anxiety.  Staying close to nature, in small groups and a more quiet atmosphere works best for us.  We set out to explore the area and take some shorter walks around the bay.  





We are having to build up Phil's strength and endurance.  He has been experiencing groin pain which caused him not to feel good. He had an infection and has just finished another round of antibiotics.  Our walks have been shorter as he was feeling weak and experiencing pain.  He seems to be feeling better, so we are busting butt again.  The first walk proved to be fun with our first pink polka dotted camper, something neither of us had ever seen before.   When we walk, we connect to nature and it gives the opportunity to get lost into the world around us.   Life can be stressful for us, there is anxiety, fear and illness that drains our energy.  Our walks provide us what we need to relax, get a hold of ourselves and talk about everything.   We take the time to talk to our neighbors, enjoy our community and have met some amazing people on equally amazing journeys.




Our second walk we parked by Cannery Row and headed right back to the Coast Guard Jetty, after yesterdays walk, I wanted to check the baby sea gulls and sea otters again.  It proved to be fun and we both enjoyed the antics of both. 








I really don't know what I would have done without my camera through this journey.  It has provided me peace, lets my mind stop for a minute and is a therapy.  Meditation through creativity.  Phil and I have lots of support, our medical team, the cancer center, a few very wonderful friends and my family.  Phil's family has been distant, but it seems to be the relationship that they all choose.  We have learned many lessons about people, love and friendship along the way. There have been others who have filled the gap for Phil.  Chris, Patti, Patty, Candice and Michelle, I have seen the love and what you have done for Phil, thank you for all you do!  I see it all in his eyes, I know you all do too.  Thank you . I have gratitude, appreciation and I wish I had the words to thank all the wonderful people in our lives.  I hope each one of you know how much I love and appreciate you.  This is a tough journey, one that needs a team, a loving team and we are very lucky to have that.  I do not know what I would have done with out the love and help of others.  This is a tough one guys.......  Thank you very much.






I'm crazy for the sea otters.  This one was eating sand dollars and moving quickly through the water.  I was pleased as punch to catch these images.  I think Phil and I both see things through fresh eyes.  Nothing in our life is the same....nothing.  We are living the new normal, and just trying to figure out what that normal is.  Each day is a new challenge and each day Phil amazes me with his tenacity, determination and love.  His emotions fluctuate,  he confuses with being tired, but all and all he is doing wonderful considering what he has gone through.  Just like this sea otter, flowing through life.






The cormorants were active and tending to babies behind the gate at the end of the jetty.  There was a huge influx of both moon jellies and sea nettles.  The bay is always teaming with life, all of it helps with healing.  We are on a journey of healing body, soul and hearts.  Thank you for sharing with us.

The best news of the day was when my daughter Noelle told me she had gotten a promotion at the job she loves at the cafe in the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  This was a big day for her, I know the struggles you have been through Noelle, I know your love of the aquarium and I know how much you help Phil and I get by.  We are both thrilled for you, CONGRATULATIONS.  We are wishing you much success and happiness at your new position.  Love you much and we appreciate everything you do for us.  Noelle has texted Phil every single morning since he was in the hospital at the beginning of the journey.  Thank you Noelle for being you.  


We took a drive with Noelle after she got off work to hear about her new position.  The sun set while we were on the drive and I caught a couple of last photos of the day.
It was a good day......



  I am filled with gratitude.
Each moment precious. 
Show the people you love that you love them.
Love and thanks to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment